Why did Eyrarakki become and was the cradle of culture, education and trade in the 19th century? Fertile soils and extensive lowlands were ideal conditions for vigorous agriculture, and it is worth remembering that the South is large and extends all the way east to Hornafjörður. It is short and paid from land to sea and at that time the sea was the only window to the outside world.
The utilization of resources, however, was based on good landing opportunities for merchant and fishing vessels, ingenuity, ambition and honesty. This was achieved at Eyrbakki in the 19th century .
The culture and history and the "House" make Eyrarbakki a desirable place to visit. Nature and the sea are the setting, but the village evokes an experience of people and history of the last three centuries. The purpose of traveling to exotic destinations is not least the real experiences that shed light on places and cultures that have been preserved from the past.
"THE HOUSE on Eyrarbakki"
The history of the area now called Eyrarbakki stretches all the way to the settlement of Iceland.
Ölfusá provided seafarers with a welcome shelter after a long voyage and the land options were promising.
For a long time, "Húsið" stood out above all other residential buildings in Eyrarbakki, but the majority of Eyrarbakki's residents lived in low-rise turf farms. The house was therefore long after the 19th century unlike all other residential houses in Eyrarbakki, built of wood, on two floors with a cockpit ceiling. There was no reference to a cottage. There was also a certain reverence and respect for naming the building by this simple name "The House".
"The house" is an abbreviation of the name Kaupmannshúsið but the house was the home of merchants and employees of Eyrarbakkaverslun from the year of construction 1765 to 1927. In the census from 1801 there is talk of "Kaufmannshuus", in the Census of 1816 the building is called "Kaupmannshús" and in all housekeeping books from 1840 onwards. 20th century. The house was the center of culture east of Hellisheidi and one of the largest mansions in the country for 70 years or from the time when Guðmundur Thorgrímsen and his wife, Sylvía Thorgrímsen, moved there in 1847 and until the couple's son-in-law, Peter Nielsen, store manager, and his wife Eugenia resigned. in the House 1916.
Cultural influences from the House and its inhabitants were diverse. Guðmundur Thorgrímsen co-founded the Eyrarbakki Primary School in 1852, which is the oldest operating primary school in the country. Guðmundur was considered a fair and popular store manager and brought about many progress issues. His family contributed to the spread of music culture throughout the region, but in the House he played organ, guitar and piano, which is now the property of Byggðasafn Árnesingar. Bjarni Pálsson, the father of the composer Friðrik Bjarnason, studied with Sylvía Thorgrímsen and her daughter Sylvía and later taught many people the organ.
In the House, Páll Ísólfsson heard Eugenia Nielsen and her daughter Guðmundur play the piano and was at once "surprised and happy about these tones".